NPR- Abrasive Surfacer, (Planer)

john hartman pianocraft@sprintmail.com
Sun, 03 Dec 2000 17:44:55 -0500

Ron,

I have an abraive planer but I wouldn't use it for removing ivory or plastic
from keys. I use a table saw with a 10" carbide blade. I've made a carage that
stradles the rip fence to safely hold the keys. I can adjust the setup to cut
the ivory off and leave the glue. Every key will be the same thickness and the
tops will be paralell with the bottoms. You can cut the keys a little deeper
to recieve plastic so the finished serface is the same as the oriiginal
ivories. You will need a quality table saw with minimal run out to get good
results. Adrasive planer are great tools but they would be to slow and mesy
for this job.

To end the cut so there is no scarring behind the key tops. I have a jig that
runs the key over a dado blade. The new key tops are nicely inserted in the
keys with no tool marks visible. I use an 8" carbide dado blade so the back
checks clear the saw table.

John Hartman