Damper lift rod

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sun, 03 Dec 2000 00:15:30 -0600

----------------------------
---------------------------
> I think that shaving a miniscule amount of metal off the top of the
>damper spoons would correct the problem, unless there is some reason that
>the rod would descend further.
>
>Ed Carwithen

Hi Ed,
I can't imagine the spoons have raised either, so I wouldn't put spoon
modification anywhere near the top of the list of possible fixes. That's
especially considering that every spoon is nestled behind a damper lever
(where you can't get to it easily) that's spring loaded (insuring it will
be as much in the way as possible), and delicate enough that you'd surely
generate secondary breakage repairs attempting it. At least I probably
would. I'd guess hanger hinge screws or bushings are the place to start. If
the screws are tight, check bushing slop. The bar could have been just
barely clearing the spoons from day one, and 20 years of bushing wear might
have made the difference. For a fix, I'd rebush first, then seriously
consider relocating the hinges or bending or replacing the hangers and
making them a bit shorter to get a little more clearance. Fifteen minutes
or a half hour doing that seems a lot more preferable to me than a half day
modifying spoons. The less I have to do with spoons, the happier I am - to
a point. A couple of extra millimeters difference in bar height won't
affect function, but will get you enough clearance to last for at least
another hundred years. Then again, that's not entirely accurate. It will
affect function somewhat because of the grooves worn in the damper lever
felts, and you may have to touch up damper lift timing here and there to
even it out to about where it was, but even so, it beats modifying spoons.

Ron N