Political Soapbox v. Piano Technology/ Here! Here!

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sat, 02 Dec 2000 16:34:04 -0600

At 04:41 PM 12/02/2000 -0500, you wrote:

> In a message dated 12/2/2000 7:36:27 PM Mid-Atlantic Standard Time,
> jformsma@dixie-net.com writes:
>

>> Me too. I recently gotten married (Nov 18), honeymooned, and returned on Nov
>>
>> 26, only to find approx 650 messages. I could only skim a few at a time
>> after that, so by the time I have gotten to read all of them, there have
>> been well over 800 messages. And many of them were useless as far as
>> technical things go. I enjoy good banter like everyone else, but it is
>> getting to the place that pablum has overtaken the list. If the shoe fits,
>> wear it. No offense intended.
>

> Thanks for the support.  Your "pablum" reference is well placed.
>
> Bob Bergantino

We seem to have yet another non piano related thread going here bemoaning the
absence of piano related communication. I submit that the traffic on the list
is generated by the traffickers on the list, and technical information and
discussion is posted no more or less often than someone posts it. The previous
three posts on this subject have done nothing toward increasing the percentage
of technical, or piano related content. They have, indeed, just raised the
noise level another notch. As Pogo noted these many years ago, "We have met the
enemy and he is us". This is apparently still true. Please do stay on, and
please do comment when you disapprove of list content, but also please do
contribute something of a technical or piano related nature as an incentive to
the rest of us. We need a reason to be here too.

I lost my Pearle River virginity a couple of weeks ago when a local dealer
asked me to come in and tune two of them for him. He had a GP 159 grand, and a
UP 108D vertical. I didn't much like the grand. Hard, clangy, wild top end, and
very audibly obvious bass/tenor crossover. The action was pretty heavy too,
though I didn't take the time to weigh anything off. The vertical had a much
mellower and melodious voice, decently clean top end, and a quite respectable
crossover. They sounded like pianos from two entirely different manufacturers.
I asked the dealer how he was going to sell the grand and he thought he might
have to sell three verticals instead. He could be right.

Is this characteristic of these pianos, or just the random luck of the draw?
I'm doing another vertical, a 48", for him next week and I'm curious for
anyone's general impressions to see how my samplings fit the norm.

Ron N