The Meaning of Key Length

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Fri, 1 Dec 2000 09:28:01 EST

Terry writes:

>Steinway D will play/feel better than the Steinway S. The action stack is

pretty much the same on these two instruments (right?), so the only

major/significant difference that might explain the better feel is the key

length.<<

Greetings,
   I suggest that two other factors are equally  important to the "feel".
   A prime consideration is the weight of the hammers and keys.  The D is a
more massive system and will exhibit more inertia than the S. Many think this
feels better because it gives more power and control.
    Secondly, the sound the ear receives has a lot to with the way an
instrument feels,(lacquer a set of soft hammers and EVERYBODY thinks the
piano feels lighter).  The D is producing a lot more sound and sustain, so
two identical actions would "feel" quite different in them.
   I have a pair of actions for one of my Steinway O's.  They are within 2
grams of each other in downweight, but one has a softer set of hammers and is
regarded as considerably heavier than the other!  The softer, heavier action
is the one that is requested the most, though.
    The change of arc in the longer geometry certainly is more appealing from
a mechanical energy transfer efficiency standpoint, and I too think it helps
improve the feel,  but thought we should look at as many variables as
possible.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT