Piano Player Systems damaging pianos?

Paul McCloud smccloud@ix.netcom.com
Thu, 30 Nov 2000 21:10:28 -0800

We have installed hundreds of QRS systems in our shop.  They are fine
units.  We also used to have Pianodisc systems installed by Mark Burgett
here in San Diego.  We have found that both systems work well, but the
pianodisc system has had more callbacks.  The question you asked was,
does it damage the piano.  My answer, yes and no.
    Just the fact that you have to cut parts of the action, and cut a
slot in the piano is, to me, damaging the piano.  You can't just "add"
them back if you want to.  The function of the pedals may be affected
also, since installing the player system involves re-engineering the
trap work under the piano.  I have seen both good and bad work in this
area.  Most of the time, the sostenuto pedal doesn't work, or has been
removed, or is noisy at best.  Murphy's law always has it's way when you
increase the complexity of any machine.
On the no side, the player doesn't beat up the piano.  Most people know
if the volume is too high, and frankly, most of the complaints about
players is that they are too loud.  A player system used 6 or 8 hours a
day isn't any more detrimental than a piano being played normally for
the same duration.  The only problem I've seen is that on some brands
(Young Chang) the hammer flange centers sometimes seize after being
played for a few hours.  I think that this problem is known to the
manufacturers, and the problem is covered by warranty, regardless of
whether there is a player system installed.
The choice is yours.  If you like the idea, I'd say go for it.
Just my 2 cents.
    Paul McCloud RPT
    San Diego