leaky bass dampers on a Knabe console

J Patrick Draine draine@mediaone.net
Thu, 31 Aug 2000 14:47:35 -0400

I don't know if a solution has appeared on the list, but I have found this to be a
persistent problem with Aeolian era Knabe (and other E. Rochester) consoles.
Obviously the felt has lost a fair amount of its damping ability, but my
recollection is that either there's no dummy damper to resist the weight of the
pedal level/dowel, or there's a return spring for the pedal that's missing --
broken or forgotten in the assembly procedure. Put in a pedal return spring and
see if it helps.

Patrick Draine