Fabric softener

Bill Ballard yardbird@sover.net
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 20:11:10 -0400

At 10:23 AM -0600 8/30/00, Don wrote:
>Hi Roy,
>
>You might as well ask how many times to *poke* a hammer with a needle to
>correct the voicing. There is *no* straight forward answer is there? (I
>hope I am wrong, but I don't think so!
>
>At 10:47 AM 08/30/2000 -0500, you wrote:)
>  >   So, please tell, how much fabric softener is appropriate to  voice down
>  >hammers? Thanks   Roy Ulrich

With anything which I might try on a set of hammers to voice, there
is at least one of two unknowns: the  concoction (its composition and
strength), and how the hammers are going to react to it. I look up
and down the scale for pairs  or threesomes of identical sounding
hammers. I chalk the keys for reference, and try an application of
the mystery sauce on one of the hammers. If I like the change, I do
the same treatment on the companion hammers. If the results seem to
head the hammers in the right direction but not far enough, I repeat
the application on the original trial hammer as well as the
companions. That way I've brought up the companions *and* tried a
second dose on the trial, ie., the trial will continue to be one dose
ahead of its companions.

That's methodical enough for me.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter PTG