Reactionary curmudgeon vs: "snuggles"

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 13:30:27 EDT

In a message dated 8/30/2000 12:24:10 PM, Don R. wrote:

<<You wrote an inflamatory and deliberately insulting post--which serves no
one. In keeping with restraint, I will not refer to this thread again.>>

Don;
 I initially took Bill's post as extreme sarcasm but as he goes further with
it I see that he is at least a little serious.  However following his
logic(?) of never using thoroughly understood principles or techniques or
materials, we would never eat an apple or an orange simply because we could
not ascertain to a high degree of certitude which part of the blossom turned
into the pulp and which part turned into the seed.........(alright y'all if
you get it great, and if you don't)......

 Since the users of "Snuggles" (generic fabric softner name?) are defending
their actions perhaps I should defend my advice to Kim of 'presizing' the
shanks on her paino in the FL keys.

 Kims problem was one of anticipated moisture related sluggishness due to the
close proximity of the Ocean on 'both' sides of the Keys (VERY close in most
cases), the lifestyle which includes lots of outside air inside the dwellings
and the desire of having a relatively trouble free action when it was
installed under those conditions.

  Since the primary cause of the sluggishness she was anticipating is
moisture laden air and it is this moisture that causes the sluggishness she
was anticipating, presizing makes very good sense to me and it has done so
for the last 42 years. I install VERY few Dampp Chasers and have any number
of clients who live on the ocean front or on the Intercoastal waterway or on
the River. The presizing and or alcohol/water treatment of actions is what
makes it possible for my satisfied clients to enjoy their pianos working in
all humidity and temperature levels. In addition I do NOT like using
"lubricants" on action centers it never solves the real problem and is a
crutch I have never found needful though I have no quarrel with those who use
such and deem it appropiate as used.

 Does it bother me when Bill says that if alcohol and water work so
well.."why not leave the action in the rain and do the entire thing at once"
(paraphrased)???
 No not at all, I have tried that on two occasions and , trust me on this one
folks, it don't work and I ain't recccccccommending the technique!! :-)

 To arbitrarily take potshots, pusedo sarcastic or not, in public, of
anothers opinion is not what I would call the height of "professional"
acumen. To state that sarcasm was intended while in the act of defending
those words 'seriously' is the depths of foolishness. Like you Don, I don't
think I will make any further posts on this and I probably shouldn't make
this one.
Jim Bryant (FL)