Reactionary curmudgeon vs: "snuggles"

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 09:32:12 EDT

In a message dated 8/29/00 12:30:08 AM Central Daylight Time,
BSimon999@AOL.COM writes:

<< << More and more often, I am voicing hammers
 using a solution of "snuggles", alcohol and water,...>>

 Why "snuggles" ? - why not beer, or axel grease thinned with power steering
 fluid to soften hammers, and lemonade or melted low fat ice cream to harden
 hammers? ( I guarantee these products will change the tonal output of the
 hammers.)

 Do ANY of you do any TESTING on your own pianos, or experiment for perhaps a
 day or two before you apply cockamamie concoctions to the expensive pianos
of
 customers?  Is there an extensive chemistry education background in some of
 you that I have missed? Considering that piano technology is long
 established, and cures for various problems are rather well known and proven
 safe and effective,  it seems like the current "professional" practice has
 deteriorated to five minutes of pouring onto hammers  any $1.19 product from
 Safeway, --and voila-- it sounds different. ( No matter that harm is done.)

 How about this idea for a action reconditioning?  Leave the action out in
the
 rain for a few days! The water will soften the hammers and the tone will
 improve, the action centers will swell and shrink upon drying and free up,
 and the key bushings will tighten up a lot, eliminating key slop! Genius.

 Seems to me that the sterling professionals that advocate new treatments, on
 any part of a piano, should have the burden of proof that they cause no harm
 and are better than the old ways.  >>

Bill:

As a matter of fact, some research has been done with fabric softeners. After
all, hammer felt is a fabric. Some of the Asian hammers are very hard, and a
fabric softener will soften them up. I have seen several demonstrations of
this at seminars, and have tried a couple of times myself. It does work. But
like Roger said, it has to be done right. Not just haphazardly.

I don't understand why you want to make a statement as ludicrous as leaving
an action out in the rain to "fix" it. Where does that come from?  It doesn't
take much brain power to see that this experiment makes absolutely no sense.
Now leaving a set of ivories out in the sun does help whiten them, but then
you probably haven't heard of that technique, so you probably think it is
ludicrous.

Get a grip, Bill. As Roger said, some comments are made in jest, others as
more of a way of making fun at the whole profession. But by working together,
and giving each other advice, there is a possibility that we can find new
ways to replace the old ways of doing things.

Which is why there is the PTG.  To help each other find new solutions to old
problems. Perhaps if you try to look at the PTG from a positive point of
view, instead of looking for reasons not to join, it might brighten your
point view of the organization.  Who knows, you might actually join us
someday.

Willem