Installing grand backchecks

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 09:12:52 EDT

In a message dated 8/29/00 6:25:27 AM Central Daylight Time,
gharvey@netsource.co.nz writes:

<< I'm currently installing a new action stack into an old German grand and
have reached a point where I am ready to install the new backchecks.

 I have two questions,
 How should I determine the final height once installed?

 How do you actually push them in?
 These are new Renner checks installed on new wires which have a splined
section for fitting into the key.
 I figured I could push them in using a jig setup in the drill press.

Greame. I guess I'll have to say it again: Fly me down there, and I'll show
you. :)

To remove and install back checks, with wires, I find it works best if you
put the key in a vice. Remove the wire with a pair of side cutters, but use a
small block of wood as the fulcrum point, instead of the key itself. This
will pull the wire out much easier and it won't elongate the hole. .

To install the new backcheck, I use a soft face hammer to gently tap the new
wire back in. As far as height, measure the old one, and use a jig of some
sort, (a hammershank with a line on it) to determine the correct height of
the new one.

Willem