Lacquer for hammers

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Mon, 28 Aug 2000 23:20:36 EDT

In a message dated 8/28/2000 9:57:16 PM, Lance wrote:

<<"Dear list,

I have used keytop/acetone for fifteen years now and am now convinced that

it creates more unwanted noise than lacquer.">>

Well Lance at least it creates a 'different' noise. :-)

<<"I am in the process of getting used to using lacquer now.">>

One BIG difference is the amount of time which should pass before playing on
the treated hammer(s)  With the keytop/acetone it is rather immediate and
with the laquer it is, in my opinion, at least 24 hours.

<<"1) Why do some techs use sanding sealer instead of nitrocellulose lacquer?

Does it matter?">>

 Supposedly it dries faster and gives a more needle voicable product. I think?
I don't like "sealer" for the same reasons I don't like "plastic" but some
say they get excellent results from it.

<<"2) What is some advice you can give me on transfering the lacquer/thinner

from gallon can to a bottle for use.">>

 Be careful:-) , use an appropiate container, not glass.

<<"3) What kind of bottle do you use?">>

I use a plastic ketchup squeeze bottle with a modified tip which allows
precise (HAH?) application.

<<" How long must it dry?">>

It continues to "dry"/cure for many weeks but reaches aprox 85/90% of
hardness after 24 hours, depending on mixture used.

<<"Do you ever put it on the strike point?">>

Yes, depending on desired results and mixture used, as well as time available.

<<"What ratio?  4:1? 5:1?">>

4:1 would be a 25% mixture, 5:1 would be a 20% mixture and, in my opinion,
neither of these mixture have any place on a hammer of any make. If the
hammer(s) are so mushy as to need this type mixture it would be best to get a
firmer hammer to start with....the end results would probably be better
anyway.
 The mixture I use would be a less than 4% mixture, perhaps one large
eyedropper of laquer in aprox 8-10 ounces of thinner.
 I 'think' that most of the negative comments vis a vis voicing of "laquer
treated" hammers are due to a high % mixture being used.

<<"How long will it last after mixing sitting in the back of my truck?">>

Until the thinner evaporates...I wouldn't carry it on appointments unless it
was for a specific job on a specific day...but that is just me.

Just my thoughts, certainly not the only view on the subject.
Jim Bryant (FL)