What's an "RTT"?

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Mon, 28 Aug 2000 12:07:21 EDT

In a message dated 8/28/00 8:46:00 AM Central Daylight Time,
pianolists@earthlink.net (The Pianolists) writes:

<< When did "RTT" become an official PTG designation? How does it differ from
 RPT? Is the seller perhaps...um...not quite accurate? Am I perhaps just
 behind the times? I thought there was only Associate and RPT.

You are correct.  The title, "RTT"  was replaced with "RPT" nearly ten years
ago.  You see this kind of thing often, however.  There are still plenty of
people who still refer to RPT's as "Craftsmen" and Associates as
"Apprentices" and there are many who call the Technical Exam the "Bench"
test.  The one that gets me is the reference to the Annual Convention as "The
National", as in, "Hey, see ya at the National".

All of this is insulting to the people who worked hard to create the bylaws
and structure of PTG and the "National" usage is insulting to the Canadians
and Mexicans as well as the International Correspondents who are just as much
a part of PTG as the US citizens who belong to the organization are.

It all comes for the tendency of people in this profession to become set in
their ways.  Once many have learned something one way or become used to
saying or referring to something in a particular way, it is difficult for
them to change or accept new ideas.  This can be seen in many aspects of the
way business is done and in the actual practices used in the work.

It just seems so typical that someone selling an old player piano would be 10
years behind the times, if not 100.  I often wonder why there is still an
interest in these old contraptions when there is something much better
available today.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin