voicing with "snuggles"

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Sat, 26 Aug 2000 19:29:29 -0400

Hi,

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but I have a small concern about
using fabric softener.

I have, from time to time, heard comments that have led me to believe that
there may be some less than desirable long term effects to using fabric
softeners as a voicing tool, namely the possibility of accelerated
degradation of the wound strings.  (perhaps something in the fabric softener
which would accelerate corrosion within the bass strings leading to an
earlier "tubby" sound.?)

At least until I'm convinced otherwise, I think I'd feel more comfortable
with steam voicing or needle voicing.  I don't know what elements fabric
softeners might be inserting into those hammers that could have some rather
long term, possibly negative effects.

I hope to find out that I'm all wrong.  I know there have been some positive
comments about fabric softeners.

Again, I didn't mean to rain on anyone's parade.  Just have this nagging
doubt that I couldn't let pass unmentioned.

Best wishes,

Brian Trout
Quarryville, PA
btrout@desupernet.net