voicing with "snuggles"

Charly Tuner charly_tuner@hotmail.com
Sat, 26 Aug 2000 10:37:45 PDT

More and more often, I am using a solution of "snuggles", alcohol and water,
to voice mostly older, used pianos at the store where I floor tune. It's
kinda like icing on the cake after tuning, but I generally use it ONLY on
the pianos that sound overly harsh and bright. Many of the used pianos are
in need of hammer softening, and a few are new, but just lacking in overall
quality workmanship; e.g., "Niemeyer." What I'm wondering is, what is the
best ratio for the mixture, and do i need to add water, or is just Snuggles
and Alcohol the best? ALso, i usually lightly brush the hammers with a small
brass brush just prior to applying the mixture, (seems to make for quicker
absorption, but I could be wrong) which goes right on the strike point,(in
the compacted string grooves) albeit a very small amount...maybe a single
eyedrop. It seems to do the job very well. Thanks!

Terry Peterson
Los Angeles, CA
Associate Member, PTG