Roger action Geometry

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Fri, 25 Aug 2000 23:11:57 -0600

>>                  Since the springs are only supporting 5-10gms it stops
>> that wip bounce, before when they were supporting 30-35gms, and noisy.
>> Changed the jack spoon felt buttons,  (nice soft red type) also a big
>> reduction in noise.
>
>On mine, removeing the jack springs entirely had no effect on the amount of
>whippen bouncing. Sounds crasy, but the keys were so lightly weighted that
the
>weight of the whippen / hammer literally threw the key downwards

 Correct that is why you need some weight in them thar' keys.

 You could see
>this happening. They wouldnt reach bottom at the same time and the result was
>blubbering until all settled down.. very noisey stuff. Increasing the
front weight
>a bit (there was like almost no front weight to begin with ) slowed the
key down
>just enough to lick this problem. But no doubt a whole lot more woulda
needed to
>be done to really make the thing play well.

I have corrected so many, that is why the weighting template approach, fast
and effective.
Many factories weight off to predetermined positions, a fact of life.

>> Gina and I have some good photos in upcoming Journals re tailing.
>
>Good deal, nice series by the way.

Thank you kind sir,  Gina and I will now save a fortune on phone bill's,
since the project is now complete, but I'm missing the interaction.  Pun
clearly intended.

>> Unless you get hammer mass, bore, rake, and tailing correct, it's a futile
>> exercise to start a serious weight off. ... snip snip
>
>This of course was my thinking in regards to the whole Stanwood process..
But as I
>havent really had a chance to dig deeply into that yet, I will take the
time to go
>a bit overboard with those measurements and figureings...grin.. Still I
have to
>aggree that getting the geometry at optimal first has got to be the right
first
>step.

It's imtimidating to start with, but once you really get into it, you will
have fun and make money.  But it will cost you a lot of time and energy
getting there/, but it's worth it.

>I am gonna be really interested to see in the end how Stanwoods modeling
of the
>system handels geometric problems. There seems to be some potential
problem here
>with relocating capstan. I am not yet convinced that following Stanwoods
specs
>will result in an optimal geometric positioning for the capstan in any given
>action.  But perhaps it will. Looking forward to this little adventure. grin
>

>> Dry hang the hammer at various weights then do the DW/UW measurements.
as you
>> increase hammer mass 1gm, a rough rule of thumb for DW is 5gms.  Most times
>> just selecting the right hammers for the job can save a lot of extra work.
>>

>Here is an area where I definantly gotta suggest one looks closer at
Stanwoods
>method. Instead of Dryhanging, one can choose a desired Strike Weight and
Strike
>Weight ratio and work the balance equation in the direction of solving for
Front
>Weight.

Correct, 13 to 15gms of strike wt is typically what you will find on the
Samick product. part of the reason for tapering and tailing.  It's too high.

(This works great on paper anyways,,,grin... I'll let you know how it
>works in reallity as soon as I myself know..hehe). In anycase the obvious
gain
>here is that knowing ahead of time how much each hammer assembly is going
to weigh
>saves a lot of time.

To dry hang 3 hammers and shanks just takes a few mins,  and gives a great
picture of the final results. Really helps in the decision making process.

Secondly I like the idea of a consistant graduation of strike
>weight. You might start thinking a bit along these lines Roger... play
around with
>it a bit in your thoughts.

I am anally retentive in hammer weight graduation, as well as consistent
friction.  No doubt you picked that up in the regulation series.   Tackle
this FIRST, then recheck and correct the weighting.

The main issue is that wippen assist springs should only ASSIST, not carry
the load.These actions, the springs are used to hide a multitude of sins.

Have fun.
Roger

Roger Jolly
Saskatoon, Canada.