piano wire

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Wed, 23 Aug 2000 22:30:29 -0600

Hi Dave,
             The American wire is 0.0005 larger in diameter that it's
German counter part. About 5lbs difference in tension on the average piano.
 So if there is 200 plain wires you can change the overall tension by
1000lbs. Rosleau on American piano, you are dropping the tension. Mapes on
a European or Japanese piano, will increase tension.
Unless you string two identical piano's with different wire, it would be
hard to get a read on it, even then differences in boards and hammers would
cloud the picture.
Good North American pianos go Mapes Gold.
Good European and Japanese pianos go Rosleau.
That way it's a good chance you are duplicating what was there.
Regards Roger

At 01:41 PM 23/08/00 -0700, you wrote:
>List
>
>I would to hear from those techs who do a lot of stringing.  What kind of
>wire do you use?  I see that Schaff stocks Rosleau and Mapes Gold Label. Has
>anyone used these two brands?  What about the Pure Tone brand from the
>Netherlands that I see advertised in the Journal?  What has worked best for
>you?  I notice that some of my wire has a duller finish than other rolls.
>Is there a brand that has a consistant finish?  Anyone?
>
>Dave Severance

Roger Jolly
Saskatoon, Canada.
306-665-0213