Fw: Harpsichord

Michel Lachance michel_lachance@hotmail.com
Thu, 24 Aug 2000 22:06:23 EDT

Patricia,

I will just complete Daniel's informations.  Most harpsichord players tune
their instrument with a Korg type tuner.  The general procedure is to tune
an octave in the middle section with the tuner and tune the rest by ear
using octave relations.  You tune one stop in that fashion, and tune the
other(s) one by unison

There is almost no inharmonicity on an harpsichord so they can safely go by
the book regarding the tuner reading.

Harpsichords are VERY unstable and, prior tuning it, we have to check the
actual pitch of the instrument, which can happen to be very sharp ot flat.
If it is the case, we have to overshoot on the first pass in order to
equalize the tension.

It is perfectly acceptable to tune a Harspichord with an equal temperament.
If you want to use a historical (non-equal), you have to know what kind of
repertoire you expect to play in the first place.  One of the most popular
one among harpsichord players seems to be the Valotti-Young temperament.

Hope that helps.

Michel Lachance, RPT