Spotty Kawai

Jeannie Grassi jgrassi@silverlink.net
Tue, 22 Aug 2000 08:08:11 -0700

Hi Dave,
>>What puzzles me is about the grey spots got on the strings. I tend to
think
it is a humidity problem, but I have never see humidity to this to the
strings. Rust, yes. Grey spots no.<<

I have encountered this in the past with another brand.  My suspicions were
that it was polishing compound from when the finish was polished at the
factory.  These were grands, so it was easy to see how something could fall
into them if things got a little sloppy.  Doesn't mean it couldn't have
happened with an upright.  However, the strings would have sounded bad from
the beginning.  Has she just noticed this problem now, or were the strings
always bad?  Sometimes beginners don't use the extended octaves of the piano
until they've been playing for a year or two.  It may be that no one played
in the bass for a few a few years.  Keep working with Don, he's very
helpful, but it may be hard to determine how long this has been a problem.

jeannie

Jeannie Grassi, RPT
Assistant Editor, Piano Technicians Journal
mailto:jgrassi@silverlink.net