Humidity Change and Unisons

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Mon, 21 Aug 2000 23:53:06 -0600

Hi Ron,

I agree that all things have to be taken into account. But which way does
each item work? Towards or away from smear? There are those occaisional
pianos when no matter what the humidity is the unisons and pitch level stay
wonderfully. And yes they have crown.

My hunch is that the plate is moving *more* than the soundboard...in the
area of c7 for example. Another hunch is that the upwards movment of the
sound board (which is an actually arching) causes a vector of force to
twist the bridge counter clockwise.

Lets try to consider each possible factor and with a *thought* experiment
decide whether it would cause pitch to rise or fall. Then if we add all
theses compenents perhaps some cause and effect could be seen for the
smearing of the unisions--other than the broad brush of humidity.

In terms of a disease...what is the *vector* of the smearing of the unisons.

At 05:13 PM 08/21/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>>Hi Ron,
>>
>>So your *take* is that the bridge is rolling to some extent? And that the
>>uneven tail lengths cause the smearing of the unisons?
>

>Hi Don,
>No, my take is that the bridge is rising and falling with the soundboard
>crown with humidity swings.
Regards,

drose@dlcwest.com
http://donrose.htmlplanet.com/