Piano from heck day

MBrat70179@AOL.COM MBrat70179@AOL.COM
Mon, 21 Aug 2000 21:37:19 EDT

Hi Patrick,

If the brass flanges are the kind I'm thinking of,  the wobbliness is
probably not from the pinning it is from the brass flange itself.  I believe
(and correct me if I'm wrong,  you lurkers out there) this type of set is
called a Billings action.

Those flanges have a tendancy to weaken, by bending the flange back and
forth.  Eventually it breaks.  I try to head it off at the pass by repairing
it with the kit designed for this action.  Basicly the kit is a new screw
slightly longer than the original and another piece of brass used to support
the back side of the flange.

I have this type of action in my own piano and so far no breaks yet.
Although I do get in there every once in a while and fix a few more.

Mike Bratcher