Piano Interior Trivia

Mark Story mark.story@ewu.edu
Mon, 21 Aug 2000 11:49:12 -0700

I have had my yuks over this stuff too - and Kimball is certainly in the
running for the most marketing to engineering ratio. I had always thought
that this "Mezzo-Thermoneal Stabilizer" nonsense was just spritzing some
lacquer on the back of the pinblock or something, but when I viewed a
Kimball video of their factory operation (I don't remember the name of the
video) I was stunned to see that the "Mezzo-Thermoneal Stabilizer" is a real
process where the vertical back is passed through a series of heat and cool
chambers, I guess an attempt to simulate a series of climate changes in the
factory. Judging from the result, it's obvious that it was a dubious
engineering feat, but I have to a least give them credit for trying. I
wonder how much of the other marking puffery by various makers had at least
some basis in process?

Mark Story. RPT
Eastern Washington University
Cheney, Washington

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf Of
Farrell
Sent: Friday, August 18, 2000 11:05 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Piano Interior Trivia

Just sittin' here entering records. Yesterday I tuned a beautiful Kimball
console that was equipped with Kimball's "Exclusive Harmi-Tone Action" and
had its "Back Processed by Exclusive Mezzo-Thermoneal Stabilizer"........so
I know my tuning will be stable!

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida