Question regarding Well Temp. Tuning

Mon, 21 Aug 2000 09:08:57 +0200

Hi Ric... Perhaps...such instructions may surface one day.... but still thats
only part of the equation really. I see absolutely nothing wrong with anyone
deciding to use any particular temperament on any particular piano really..... I
would prefer what ever decision is made to be a concioius one... at least as
concious as possible. Thats the real sad part of the HT saga... most folks dont
even really know jack didly about them and often as not are filled with tons of
ridiculous ideas about them.

I guess I just have a problem with folks who throw out these bombastic type
definitions about how a thing is "supposed" to be done. And I see folks on both
sides of the HT / ET question guilty of that one. In the concert in question I
suppose I would have reacted to a statement... "Just think how interesting it
would have been to try some different HT tunings on these instruments" much more
positively then the "Another misrepresentation and abortive attempt at makeing
real music executed by the ET gestapo"

grin... I am paraphasing of course...but I think you get the point...

as I said to begin with. HT proponet I am... tho I know as yet far to little
about them, yet I see no point in bashing ET around just because I think HT's
are interesting, delightfull to listen too, and very usefull for todays music.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.