Question regarding Well Temp. Tuning

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Mon, 21 Aug 2000 00:47:28 -0500

>> I don't think anyone composes in a temperament.
>> imho. ---ric

> Be all that as it may... assuming you are right for a moment... that kinda
> throws any justification for judging any particular temperament to be more
> "appropriate" then any other for any given peice of music... right out the
> door.
> I mean.. the "artists intent" part of the equation just dissapears.
>
> --
> Richard Brekne

Who knows, tomorrow a long lost note book of one of Bach's pupils might
surface containing explicit instructions of how to tune one or (two perhaps)
temperaments from the master himself.  That would end a lot of conjecturing.
Until then judging "appropriate temperament" or "artists intent" is just
that, a cabala.
    For a balanced and cogent review see Mark Lindley's article in New
Groves, "Temperament"  ---ric