Practical pitch changing

John Lillico, RPT staytuned@idirect.com
Fri, 18 Aug 2000 23:22:32 -0400

>Hi List,
>
>I had the 'privilege' to tune 9 pianos this week at a local college.  Most
>of them were quite sharp, usually in the 1/4step (+) range.
>
>1) The bass sections seemed to be the most likely to
>stay where I put them.
>2) The lower tenor sections seemed to be the most likely to be fartherest >sharp and also the least likely to stay where I put them.
>3) Oddly enough, the treble section seemed to be fairly stable as
>well. the tunings were not what I would have liked them to have been,
>(anything less than concert level bothers me), they were quite good all
>things considered.

>Brian Trout
>Quarryville, PA

Brian,

Me, too!  I hate lowering pitch. I had five today with three being, 12, 18 and 16 cents sharp (but not the bass). Sharpness was primarily in the tenor and high treble. A quick passover to bring the pianos to 6, 9 and 8 cents flat raised the bill by $46.00 prior to tuning.

What's a 1/4 step?  FIFTY CENTS SHARP??????

John Lillico, RPT
Oakville, Ontario