Need some reference on a Weber Grand

PNOTNR@AOL.COM PNOTNR@AOL.COM
Thu, 17 Aug 2000 14:13:20 EDT

Hi List,

First of all, thanks to all of you who contacted me about my question
regarding green felt for understring, bellyman, etc. on a Weber Grand.

You may remember that I mentioned that I'm working on a 1906 Weber that
another technician butchered.., well it turns out to be a 1913 Weber.  And
the previous guy erased many points of reference.

Bass strings are really low tension.   I have heard that if you're not very
particular, simply sending in the originals for duplication may not get you
what you expect.  I doubt this previous tech gave it much thought.   Anybody
got the data for a 5 1/2 foot Weber bass string scale?  This is 28 note bass,
with three bichords on the treble bridge.  (8 unisons and 20 bichords total)
(Treble of this instrument was apparently strung with whatever spool of wire
was easiest to work with.  17 unisons of #13, 9 of #13 1/2, ...doesn't seem
to match anything in the Travis book..

Also, I can't figure out how the understring felt looked originally.  The
piano came into the shop with what looks like temperament strips and upright
spring rail cloth under the strings.  And they are not in the position of the
original felt, but I can't really tell what that original position would have
been.

If anyone has access to a 1913 or thereabouts vintage Weber Grand, I could
greatly use a picture of the plate, or a good description.   Thanks in
advance for any help.  I have other questions too, but I'll hold off on those.

Gordon Large, RPT
Mt. Vernon, ME