M&H and S&S serial numbers

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 20:51:20 -0400

Hi Mark,

I'm not familiar with any particular place on either, but I'll offer a =
few places to look, some more involved than others (in no particular =
order).

You could look on the bottom of the lid prop, or the bottom of the lid =
prop block.  (Maybe not, but might be worth a look.)   Sometimes it will =
be stamped into the keybed, usually in the center, not far behind the =
front of the action.  Sometimes, it'll be printed on the front of the =
keyframe, usually pretty easy to see and get to if it's there.  It'll =
usually be found on the top of the lyre, which is a pain to take off and =
look, but usually there.  Sometimes under a leg.  Sometimes on the cheek =
blocks, or even the fallboard. =20

The only thing that comes to mind is that there are case numbers and =
serial numbers.  I've seen a lot of case numbers like 2503, or 1841B, or =
something similar not really looking a lot like a serial number.  (I was =
told that the case numbers were basically for use in the factory to keep =
all the stuff that belongs to a piano with that piano.)

Ya just have to poke around.  You'll find it.  :-)

Good luck,

Brian Trout
Quarryville, PA
btrout@desupernet.net