Question regarding Well temp...

Clark caccola@net1plus.com
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 20:36:17 -0100

Linda,

Since noone (except Ed) is likely to mention it, the Ives' ¼-tones you
heard are likely to be tuned toward 24-tone Equal Temperament which
offers few advantages over 12tET. Smaller intervals are great: 12tET's
smallest sound huge to me, but in so far as approximating JI, 50-cent
offsets are kind of useless. This is but half the problem - 12tET
enthusiasts are using 12 notes per octave as a start and 7 notes per
scale as a basis, when really it ends up in numerological garbage. Ives
reportedly leaned toward Pythagorean tunings, which bypasses Yasser's
late and weird ideas.

Like what you like, but know what you like: 24 tones is way better than
12 to my ears even if it is dumb; there are simpler means around it.

Clark