SV: Question regarding Well Temp. Tuning

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 17:48:55 EDT

Linda writes:

<< I just love Charles Ives...

Have you heard the quarter-tone pieces for two pianos he wrote??

I can really recommand it.

 Greetings Linda,  (and welcome, I don't think I have seen your posts before)
     I am not familiar with much of Ives.  I helped a musician find notes on
the piano that could be detuned to produce what Ives had written. We would
take an unused key and assign it the pitch called for elsewhere.  (It was a
nightmarish treatment of the strings, they went WAY far from home!).

>>For me, it is the most relaxing for my ears after a day struggeling with
tuning equal temperament.<<

    Wow! that is some fairly exotic relaxation.  (If I were more radical, I
would would blame all your struggling on the intended temperament(:)}), but
keep at it.
    Tuning is more of a decision making process than a listening or
pin-turning one, and the ability to make the necessary tuning decisions fast
enough to get you through a piano before your objectivity runs out is only
acquired with time and practise.  The ability to aurally tune an consistant
equal temperament is what  separates the real tuners from the pretenders,
and is a skill well worth working to attain.  It won't always be a struggle.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT