Baldwin

Avery Todd avery@ev1.net
Tue, 15 Aug 2000 19:37:49 -0500

Kevin,

    ( I HAD to change the spelling in the subject line!) :-)

    You were very right! :-) And I was only able to get 3 done; an L, R and
M, plus
some tunings. Three more to go, plus 2 Wurlitzers and a used Kimball.
    Most of the regulation was terrible, except for the key dip. It was
fairly close
except for one. But I pretty much expected that. :-) Hammer to string spacing
was atrocious on all of them! One even needed about half the hammer
flanges repinned because they were wobbly. On the lift while adjusting
repetition, I could actually see the hammer move to the left!
    What I didn't expect was that two had no down bearing whatsoever on a few
notes; the L in the upper bass and the other one in the upper middle section.
Also, the bass strings overall were unusually low on the hitch pin. Which I
know, in and of itself, is not necessarily wrong.
    Has Baldwin made some changes which would necessitate this? It didn't
seem to affect the tone, though.
    After all the work, they actually turned out pretty nice. I was just
hoping that
the "new and improved" versions would also include the regulation type
stuff. Oh well, it keeps the money coming in, anyway.
    And to make matters worse, doing all that floor tuning stuff, my SAT III
program crashed and I'll probably lose everything I had stored in there!!!!!!!
Literally. Sure glad I'm an aural tuner! :-) A word to the wise. If you
have tunings
stored in memory, back it up or do a print out, or something. I'll probably
lose
custom tunings for 4 Steinway D's and 5 B's and a 7' Kawai. :-(
    In spite of all the negative things I've said, I actually pretty much
like them.
After a lot of work, of course. :-) Now, can anyone thing of another brand that
also has to have all that done??????? :-)

Avery