Tilting Pianos

Barrie Heaton Piano@forte.airtime.co.uk
Tue, 15 Aug 2000 18:16:46 +0100

Hi Mitch

If your schools  are like ours the floors are very slippery  a piano
tilting bench  is the best and safest way.

Since you do not have one at hand, the way I have done it in the past is
take a sturdy wooded box, big enough so you can use tools under the
piano to do the job. Lift bass end of the piano up and place the box
under the end pass the castors this will tilt the piano so you can work
on it,  I put the opposite end to where I was working up to a wall so if
the piano starts to slip it will not go far, I had a piece of 6"x4"x2'
which I placed between the wall and the piano to stop it sliding. Yo
need about 2' gap from the wall  to allow you to tilt the piano.

You will need some one to steady the piano wiles you work on it  to stop
it rocking.  The box I used was about 18" high about 18" deep   and
about 2' 6" long

Doing it this way is less hard work on your back. than tipping it right
over and you don't put and pressure on the finish surface as you would
tipping it  all the way over.  2 of you can do it this way I use to lay
on my back to do the castors. Do one side then the other.

Hope this helps but a piano tilting bench should be at the top of your
buying list.

Regards

Barrie,

In article <F1504TZyabYTHrduslu000004f1@hotmail.com>, Mitch Ruth