color of understring felt

Carl W. Meyer cmpiano@earthlink.net
Tue, 15 Aug 2000 10:18:2 -0700

Some years ago I followed a guy who used dyed felt to mute the fourth
string on a Bluethner treble piano section after he restrung it.  The wires
were a mass of rust. I never knew whether it was the dye or if it might
have been put in moist.  It could have been that he didn't rinse well.  I'd
be very cautious.  The only place there was rust was where it touched the
felt, so it had to be the felt.

--- Carl W. Meyer, Santa Clara, Ca.
--- cmpiano@earthlink.net