Question regarding Well Temp. Tuning

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Mon, 14 Aug 2000 11:21:57 EDT

In a message dated 8/14/00 9:20:32 AM Central Daylight Time,
ginacarter@carolina.rr.com (Eugenia Carter) writes:

<< Currently I service quite a few customers whose pianos were tuned in HTs by
 other technicians. These customers called me because they did not like the
 HT tuning and were embarrassed or just didn't want to debate with the
 technician who previously tuned their piano in the HT. >>

Thanks a lot for a very fair minded post, Gina.  I actually often have the
same experience as you do, only that the customers do not like what is
represented as ET.  In my experience, however, I have consistently noted that
the temperament never was ET to begin with, but Reverse Well.  All of the
intransigence, hypocrisy and bigotry that HT tuners are accused of having is
usually more of a motivation for the customer to change tuners than the
actual sound that the Reverse Well Temperament creates on the piano.

Naturally, after my recent post, I got an anonymous and cowardly letter from
someone accusing me of "imposing my own taste" on others and "self
destructive" behavior.  I have been tuning exclusively in non-ET's for some
11 years now and regularly tune in excess of 25 pianos per week.  99% of the
time I encounter a piano tuned by another technician, whether it is by a
local tech or a piano recently moved to town, it has evidently been tuned in
Reverse Well, not ET.

The concert which was the subject of DI's post featured a harpsichord and
fortepiano, NOT a modern piano.  At least by now, it should be common
knowledge that these instruments and the composers who were named NEVER were
associated with ET.  Yet, ET was chosen.  Why?  Probably because the people
who tuned the instruments and played them had no knowledge of what may have
been most appropriate.  They have been the victims of the very same
intransigence, hypocrisy and bigotry that the ET only crowd accuse HT tuners
of.

In my view, the attendees of that concert were offered a misrepresentation of
the music at best, a fake or fraudulent representation being a more apt
description.  Yes, it was "enjoyed by all" and as I suggested, it probably
would have been no matter what was done, a modern piano tuned in Reverse Well
or a Clavinova with the appropriate button pushed.  It isn't at all uncommon.
 And, were those tunings *really* ET or were they just a single minded, blind
and ignorant to all other possiblities attempt at ET which resulted in
something quite unintentional but which went unnoticed but nevertheless
accepted?

This was intended to be a concert where people were supposed to hear an
"authentic" rendering of the music on historical instruments (most
appropriately tuned in historic ways).  Unfortunately, the ET only
intransigence managed to force *their* taste upon the public.

The whole idea is and has always been that if any and all ideas except ET can
be eradicated, then no one will ever want nor even be aware of any other
possibility.  Then everything would be easier, simpler and cheaper, wouldn't
it?  Just like pushing the button on the Clavinova or even using recorded
music at a public performance.  It already happens in many venues where there
used to be real keyboards and other live music.

I would confidently offer a piano tuned the way I do to compare with one
tuned by an ET only proponent any day of the year.  As a musician, I have to
work with pianos tuned in ET and I accept them and find them workable as
everyone else does.  I don't think, however that it means I have to tune that
way just because someone else says it is the one and only way and I certainly
don't have to accept Reverse Well as a substitute and remain quiet about it.

I have consistently stated my position on this subject and I practice what I
preach.  I wonder what kind of "hypocrisy" this represents to Richard
Breckne?  In the case of this historic music concert, who was forcing whose
personal taste upon whom?  Whose behavior was really self destructive or
destructive in a more general sense?

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin