Air Conditioning

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sun, 13 Aug 2000 08:38:51 -0500

Air conditioners dehumidify because the coil is cold. Moisture condenses on
the cold coil, runs down to a collection pan, and drains away, leaving the
room air drier. Using too big a unit cools the house down too quickly, and
air isn't blown across the cold coil long enough to dehumidify adequately.
A smaller unit would run longer per cycle, keeping the coil cold longer,
and do a better dehumidification job. The hotel cooling system uses a cold
water circulation system. It doesn't add humidity, because the system is
sealed, but the coil doesn't get cold enough in the first place to condense
moisture out of the room air efficiently. The only cooling system I know of
that adds humidity is the old evaporative "swamp" coolers, which pull
outside air through wet filters and blow cooler, but moisture saturated air
into the building. I'd forgotten how miserable these things were until I
was reminded in Buffalo Oklahoma, Friday noon, having a post funeral
service lunch with the family and friends that could make it. Of the types
of cooling systems available, I'll take the refrigeration please... to go.

Ron N