Making a CD

robert goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Sun, 13 Aug 2000 01:51:32 -0700

james turner wrote:

> I am wondering if someone on this List would explain something to me
> about producing a CD.
> When they take an old LP record (lets say of George Wright in the
> l950's) and record this old record onto a CD today, what exactly do they
> do?  How do they take an old record and clean it up for a modern CD?
> How much would something like this cost to do?

This all depends on what you intend to do.  If you just want to copy an old
LP onto a CD this is easy.  CD burners are very cheep these days.  I bought
a very nice Hewlet Packard R/WR burner for less than $200.00.  It copies not
only data files but also other CDs.  It will copy any other audio source
provided you first record it into the computer in wave format, (i.e. an LP
played into the computer via "line-in" jack while recording it as a wave
file).  It will then play the wave file while the CD burner records it.

If you are interested in copying an old LP with the intent of "cleaning it
up", this is very difficult.  Once an LP is scratched the damage is pretty
much done.  You can run it through a mixer and a equalizer unit and filter
out some of the higher frequencies where the scratches live, but that's also
going to take some of the desired quality away with it.  When a studio
reissues an old recording that was originally distributed on LP, new masters
are typically made from the original recordings, not an old LP, (unless it
is extremely rare and a handful of LPs are the only remaining sources).

If you have a few old LPs that you would like to have on CD, I would suggest
you check on amazon.com or any of the other on-line music sources to see if
the recording has already been published on CD.  If not you may want to
check ebay to see if anyone has the particular LP that you are interested in
that is in a little better condition then the one you currently have.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV