Air Conditioning

Diane Hofstetter dianepianotuner@hotmail.com
Sat, 12 Aug 2000 23:18:34 PDT

Coming from a cool part of California, I wasn't prepared for the humidity
readings I kept seeing in my room at the Crystal City Hyatt.  All these
years I had read that AC took moisture out of the air and here I was reading
78% on my brand new Damppchaser humidistat.  Finally one tech told me that
in many large buildings such as the hotel or university buildings they are
using a new type of airconditioning that actually puts moisture back into
the rooms.  That probably doesn't explain your customer's problem though.

Moisture is a constant problem for us here on the coast and under the giant
Redwoods.  Next week I have to go back on a Steinway grand I rebuilt about
ten years ago; customer complains it is too heavy.  I asked her about the
damppchaser, she says "Oh, we don't want to bother with that."  It's in an
unheated, non-insulated summer cabin in the woods  :-(

Diane

----Original Message Follows----
From: staytuned@idirect.com (John Lillico, RPT)
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Air Conditioning
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 01:15:06 -0400

 >I think Larry Messerly is both right and wrong. AC does indeed filter
 >water out of the air, but don't expect uniform results from all AC units
On Mon, 27 Mar 2000 02:15:54 -0700 "Robert A. Anderson"
<fndango@azstarnet.com> wrote

 >at all times. I have measured humidity levels between 35% and 55%
 >approximately in homes in the Summer with AC running. I conclude that
 >not all units are equally efficient, especially when the air is being
 >cooled to a greater degree from a high moisture content level.
 >
 >Bob Anderson
 >Tucson, AZ

Rob,

The RH readings I'm seeing this month are about 60% on average (the record
was 82%) and most are air conditioned environments. I asked a heating
engineer about this. He said that most central air units are too large for
the area they cool. When temperature drops too quickly the units shut off
leaving RH at these high levels.

I long for a good snowfall.

John Lillico, RPT
Oakville, Ontario