pipe clamps again (really onlist, ha)

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Thu, 10 Aug 2000 21:10:40 EDT

In a message dated 8/10/2000 8:29:09 PM, Bill S. wrote:

<<"$ bill for soundboard clamps is going to approach $1K.">>

Bill;
 The clamps needed for soundboard work do not need to be "heavy duty" clamps
such as 3/4" pipe clamps. The purpose of clamping the soundboard in place is
to obtain a solid glue joint and any pressure over and above that amount will
only serve to start crushing the wood.....we don't want to do that do we? :-)

  Deep throated pipe clamps will work but they are essentially overkill, in
my opinion.  The important features for soundboard clamps are:
a. Sufficient clearance of the foot to fit under the rim without marking the
case.
b. Sufficient throat depth to allow positioning the clamping head over the
rim and cauls without marking the case.
c. Ease and quickness of use...the MOST important feature when choosing
between similar clamps for board work.

Grizzly Industrial has the deep throated pipe clamps as well as several
models of the "F" type clamp that Ron spoke of. There is one *new* model they
are advertising right now with a 4" throat which sells for 7.75 for the 16"
model up to 8.95 for the 24 inch model. They also carry the 2 1/2" throat
Bessey clamp that Ron spoke of.
 Don't buy a 'bunch' of any clamp until you have tried it and held the
thingee in yo grubby widdle hands..... :-)

 Finally, in my opinion, a Medium duty clamp is more than sufficient for
soundboard 'panel' work.
Questions?
Jim Bryant (FL)