Pinblock Fit

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Thu, 10 Aug 2000 12:41:59 -0400

If there are no guide lines or goals then chaos reigns and
we all have seen the results of such.  Knowing when and why
to change SOP is the mark of a craftsman, unthinkingness is
the mark of incompetence.

There ARE exceptions to every rule but consider the statics
of pin and string angles and the mechanical effectiveness of
good fit and finish.

> there is no 'objective' evidence that a tightly
> fitted block/flange junction adds anything

Split and pulled upper laminations is sufficient proof for
me but..

I personally have seen and felt the results of poorly fit
pinblocks but then I have worked on a lot of other makes of
pianos than M&H and S&S and have observed the end results of
mechanical and structural integrity in terms of stability
and security.

No, we don't have all the facts but I have been trained as
an engineer and think in terms of strength of materials,
material properties, statics, dynamics and stresses.  _I_
think I can make a piano better in some ways than some hove
been made but than that is my pride and burden.

I am a detailed oriented SOB and facts will not change me
mind, pass the Guinness.

		Newton