Pinblock Fit

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Thu, 10 Aug 2000 12:12:47 EDT

In a message dated 8/10/2000 11:00:12 AM, Newton wrote:

<<"The reasons for doing a pinblock fit as best you can are
multiple but consider these:
    The integration of the block into the main structure of the
rim and stretcher provides structural stability leading to
tuning stability.">>
 I absolutely agree here and the evidence of such action is objective and not
subjective. Fully integrating a pinblock will increase sustain, power, and
projection over what is avavilable from any "floating" block.

    <<"Fitting the block to the flange of the plate provide
support from the pull of the strings and tuning stability.">>
 I kinda disagree here as there is no 'objective' evidence that a tightly
fitted block/flange junction adds anything of much value to either "pull" or
"support". To the contrary I have torn down many "fine" old instruments such
as S&S/M&H/Baldwin where there was 'no' (read zero) contact between flange
and block without any detectable movement of the block under the plate as
this theory would seem to suggest. "Common" sense would seem to say this
'movement' would happen but I personally have never seen any 'objective
evidence of such.

    <<"Having tight screws all around the plate and rim provide
structural stability and tuning stability.">>
 Change the wording here to read 'help' "provide" and I will agree with you
without hesitation.

    <<"Properly drilled and and strung blocks provide tuning
stability provided the coils are tight and the right height
above the plate; no more than 1/8" .">>
  Well now Newton this is a verrrry fuzzy area huh?
There are certainly many pianos where the string angles are such that coil
heights of "1/8" " are not only unobtainable but self defeating. It is my
view that focusing on coil height alone neglects all of the other
considerations such as string angles off of the counterbearings, height of
the pin itself, the rather large differences in coil thicknesses, etc.....
Will a lower string height aid in tuning?......yes it will...is it needful to
be 1/8"?...in my opinion, no, and in many instances it is counter productive.

    <<"Block boring angle should be set to the string leaves the
tuning pin at 90 degrees when the bottom coil is 1/8" above
the plate.  This prevents coiling climbing over each other
or prevents them from moving down the tuning pin.">>

 See above..... as following this as a firm rule would lead, in some
instances, to tuning pin boring angles approaching 10 or 11 degrees, if not
surpassing those angles.

Just differring views I guiness. :-)
Jim Bryant (FL)