Vallotti Temperament (was Pinblock/Frame...)

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Thu, 10 Aug 2000 11:12:15 EDT

In a message dated 8/10/00 9:06:49 AM Central Daylight Time,
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com (Farrell) writes:

<< << Hello Ed Foote: (My wife LOVES the Vallotti temperment I put on her
piano -

 me too!)

Ed Foote replies:

 Greetings,
     Great!  The Vallotti is a time-proven arrangement, and was held in high
 regard for many years during the keyboards maturation.  I use a Young,
 usually, as it keeps the tonality centered in the same place that almost
 everybody else did, but realistically, the difference in centering tonality
 on F or C is not something that 21st century ears are ready to discern, (but
 someday, perhaps).  I am glad you like the change, and hope it opens up new
 musical horizons for y'all.

The Vallotti would have been what I would have suggested you try first too.
Although Prof. Owen Jorgensen RPT, the esteemed researcher and practitioner
of Historical Temperaments (HT) recommends the Thomas Young (as Ed does) and
with good reason, the difference between the two is not very important at the
outset.

I don't know whether you have done this by ear or with an Electronic Tuning
Device (ETD) but particularly if you have been tuning by ear, the Vallotti
would be the easiest transition to make from tuning Equal Temperament (ET).
It is also easiest to tune your A3 and A4 from the fork with this
temperament.  This is the reason I used it first and continued for a few
years at least to use it as the only alternative to ET that I would use.  It
is also, in fact, the very same arrangement that Steve Fairchild discovered
independently in the early 1980's as being a useful temperament for small
pianos with irregular scale designs.  Many universities use it as the regular
way to tune their harpsichords even if all of their pianos are tuned in ET.

If you ever get the chance to tune for an artist who will play the Beethoven
Piano Concerto #5 (Emperor), I would highly recommend this temperament as
being specific for it.  It will give the piano a razor sharp, in tune sound
that no other temperament can match.  The piece is in Eb Major.  In the
Vallotti temperament, the 5ths are all pure and the 3rds beat more gently
than they do in ET for all of the chords which relate to the key of Eb.  This
gives all of the chords and arpeggios which are played in the 1st and 3rd
movements a particularly pleasing, clean and in-tune sound.

The second movement of this piece curiously modulates to the remote key of B
Major (rather than the more logical dominant key of Bb Major).  This key also
has the 5th being pure (where it is often not in other  Well Temperaments
(WT) such as the Young.  The B-D#  3rd is some 22 cents wide (a so-called
Pythagorean 3rd) which, out of context may sound quite harsh to the
contemporary ear, but in the context of the Emperor Concerto, it actually
enhances the music.

The score features the piano playing single note melodic lines against broken
chords (Moonlight Sonata style) with very wide, 10th and 17th intervals.
These wide intervals and melodic lines with large steps give the piano a
powerful "singing" tone when tuned in this temperament.  To me, this is very
good evidence that Beethoven expected the piano to be tuned in some kind of
WT and probably not ET.  Otherwise, why go to the trouble of writing in that
remote key and having to modulate back to Eb at the end of the 2nd movement?
If the piano were tuned in ET, all of the above mentioned effects would be
compromised.  The reason and purpose behind writing and playing in the remote
key are negated.

The choice of the Vallotti Temperament, in particular, for this piece is
advantageous to the modern piano.  Sometimes this is a very important
consideration.  How do you want the piano itself to sound?  Other
temperaments would work, yes, but particularly when tuning a piano for
something like a piano concerto, the technician might want to choose the one
which will make the piano express the music the best.

If you are tuning by ear, eventually you will develop a sensitivity for just
how far you can go with temperament before you create a sound which might be
objectionable to some.  While the Vallotti Temperament is a good one and so
is the Young, both feature those Pythagorean type 3rds (22 cents wide or
more) which may easily offend some sensitive people.  Learning to make
compromises which will mitigate such harsh intervals (at the expense of the
slowly  beating ones) will lead you to creating a more generally acceptable
sound for the modern piano that can take the place of ET entirely.

This is what I have done and which lead to the construction of the Equal
Beating Victorian Temperament (EBVT) which I first started working on back in
1992.  I was able to keep my harshest 3rds within the 18-19 cent range
(tolerable to most contemporary ears) and instead of simply sacrificing the
slowly beating 3rds, was able to use the canceling-out effect of Equal
Beating to cause the typical chords and harmonies played in those keys to
sound much purer than they really are.  I therefore created a kind of
"universal" temperament which can be used on the modern piano to play any
kind of music that ET can but which produces beautiful distinctions between
the keys ("color"), remarkable clarity and a seemingly more "in-tune" sound.

With time and practice, you can find your own arrangement or learn to produce
the same temperament and octave arrangement that I do and therefore produce
an appealing sound that very few other piano technicians can ever approximate.

Keep up the study and development!

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin