humidity and DC on grands

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Wed, 09 Aug 2000 10:44:27 -0600

Hi all,

In the continuing saga of humidity control I came across another tidbit of
data.

The piano a Kawai GE-1 with 3 drier bars. The situation--piano was
unplugged and allowed to go *dry* this summer, for a period of 4 weeks.

When I arrived the humidity was 51% and pitch was 6.1 cents high at A4. I
immediately cancelled the tuning and helped the lady of the house with
reinstalling the pad and clean up of the humidifier. This took only a few
moments and I felt some what uncomfortable charging her for a service call,
so I asked her if she would like some assistance with her computer (a
hobby/sideline of mine). I ended up spending about 2 hours on her computer,
and had some small success with improving how it was running.

I had measured the pitch *before* plugging in the DC system and then just
before I left measured again. The pitch had dropped by 1.3 cents in 2
hours. I felt very vindicated for cancelling the tuning appointment and
felt much better about charging for a service call.
Regards,

drose@dlcwest.com
http://donrose.htmlplanet.com/

3004 Grant Rd.