Balwin

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Wed, 09 Aug 2000 09:23:40 -0600

Hi Richard,
                 The L1 has some significant improvements over the L, 100%
maple rim and case parts, the polyester finish is a lot more durable than
the older laquer.
The custom Renner hammers are a little softer, and are nice to work with.
The basic action is the same and is very stable re: regulation.
The new plates are great, Kelly could not cast two plates the same if they
tried, resulting in all kinds of manufacturing, and quality control problems.
Part of the reason Harold Conklin developed the floating plate, was to
overcome varying plate thickness, to efficiently and accurately set the
plate to bridge relationship.
With inconsistent plates, quality manufacture is extemely difficult. If you
like the tone of the unit you try, buy it, you will not go far wrong.
Since we sell both Yamaha and Baldwin, with no axe to grind, after full
prepping, the L's out sell the C3's, 3 to 1.     The L wins in power, as
well as ppp tone colour.
Finally, buy the piano that suits your personality.
Regards Roger

At 07:50 PM 08/08/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Could someone comment on the new model "Balwin L1". I understand it has
>a newly designed plate that made in Brazil. I'm thinking of getting one
>for my personal piano. I'm interested in the sustain in the 5th and 6th
>octaves. Or any other comments you would care to make.
>
>I'm tuning and working on pianos daily so I want something solid at home
>that doesn't require constant regulation etc. etc.
>Private email if you want to respond off line. Thanks in advance.
>Richard

Roger Jolly
Saskatoon, Canada.
306-665-0213