Applying decal - French polish board

Robert Goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Mon, 07 Aug 2000 11:53:33 -0700

Welcome to Pianotech Larry!

I would strongly urge a rub-on decal, NOT any type of lacquer/varnish decal.
Varnish decals are difficult to apply as it is but I think putting one on in
your particular situation would be a disaster.

I've never applied a decal to a French polish board but I think I would
suggest that you carefully apply the rub-on decal in the typical manor.  I
would then apply several, (perhaps 5 or 6) heavy coats of shellac on top.  I
would recommend that you allow each coat to dry absolutely 100%, particularly
the last.  You may want to allow it to dry a couple days before proceeding.  I
would think that there would be enough cover over the decal to prevent damage
at this point but would strongly urge you to GO SLOW.  If it looks like your
rubbing it thin, STOP!  Let it dry and apply more coats on top.

Good luck!

Rob Goodale, RPT