Cruise pianos anchoring

CCLPianos@AOL.COM CCLPianos@AOL.COM
Mon, 7 Aug 2000 14:59:28 EDT

As a veteran "cruise ship" guy. I have seen various anchoring systems. One is
a simple turnbuckle system where one side attaches to the underside of the
piano (grand)  and the other to the deck.  The castors have been removed and
replaced by a flat pedestal. Tighten the turnbuckle to "fix" in place. The
other involves removing the castors and inserting the pedestal into the leg
cavity, which then is bolted to the deck.

As to the stresses on the leg plates, this has yet to be a problem caused by
routine ship movement. Unless of course it has become dislodged from the
bracing. Then it becomes a 750 lb missle. That I've seen. But then it is more
a matter of replacing the legs and plates. Yamaha pianos have the bolt
system, the best in my opinion. Especially when it comes to moving and
replacing the legs. I've seen many leg systems damaged by movers not
replacing them in the proper order. Yama's are an idiot proof system.

Pat in Denver
In a message dated 8/7/00 7:21:40 AM, owner-pianotech-digest@ptg.org writes:

<<
Susan Kline wrote:

> It seems to me that any anchoring system is only as good as the leg plates.
> Has anyone checked cruise pianos to see if the legs are also reinforced
> at the top end?

I think that the posts on this thread described the legs being braced in
some way. Or maybe the undersides of the pianos were tethered to
attachment points on the floor - no leg bracing necessary.

> I remember that the Loma Prieta earthquake near San Francisco
> broke some leg plates.

Many grand piano owners think that they should dive under their
stout-legged Steinway in the event of a temblor. Loma Prieta proved
otherwise. I'm still replacing leg plates from that quake.

Tom

ps: We never did get an explanation of the (non-$cientology) comment
appended to the title. Kristinn, was that you? I'm not objecting, just
curious. :-) >>