Repetition Revisited

Lance Lafargue lafargue@iamerica.net
Mon, 7 Aug 2000 08:19:46 -0500

Hey folks,
I had a problem with repetition on a Steinway concert grand last week that
has occurred before and hoped someone could help.

I was working for an International Piano Competition in which some very good
players required lightning fast repetition and for the most part, I achieved
it.  As the week wore on and the rep springs were repeatedly tightened and
it was pounded on for 14 hours each day, I noticed a problem I've seen
before.

This piano has Steinway hammers on it, but not factory original hanging.
1985...   After the key is depressed and only partially raised (1/8 inch?)
for the next blow, upon the next key depression the hammer gets wedged
against the backcheck and blocks.  It doesn't happen every time.  In other
words the hammer has let off and while the key is still almost completely
depressed the hammer tail is not against the upper part of the backcheck
like normal, but much lower and is trapped making the key feel almost like
the hammer is blocked against the string.

Repetition springs are tight with plenty of bounce.  Key height is close to
spec, hammer line, dip, etc., all normal.  It doesn't seem like the rep
lever would allow the hammer to go that low and get trapped.  I have seen
this on another piano, older vintage (late 60's or 70's).  **I should also
add that I have not been able to get close checking without the tail rubbing
on the backcheck on hard blows and I also could not get good checking at all
on soft blows with the springs on the strong side.  I experimented with
backcheck angle to no avail.  HELP!!  Thanks in advance.

Lance Lafargue, RPT
Mandeville, LA
New Orleans Chapter
lafargue@iamerica.net