refinishing problem (update)

jim krentzel jim_shari@ruralnet1.com
Sun, 06 Aug 2000 17:42:27 -0500

Dear List,
I doubt that anyone is holding their breath concerning this problem of the
lid finish, but here's how today went.  I had decided to try to wet-sand
down through the pin-holes, then start adding top coats of lacquer.  After a
while I realized that the pin-holes were deeper than one or two coats of
sealer.  So, I re-stripped the lid.  After some minor filling, I decided
that a couple of suggestions from Mark Potter were in order.  For many
years, we've used only M.L. Campbells finishing products.  On this piano, we
decided to use Sherwin-Williams (Hi-Build) sanding sealer.  Mark said that
there was a good chance that I was applying too much sealer, too fast.  I
believe that has turned out to be the case.  So, after filling, I sprayed 4
very light coats of sealer, then wet-sanded with 400.  I then sprayed two
heavier coats of sealer and sanded again.  After some minor sap stain
color-correction, I have applied two flow coats of lacquer.  That's where I
am right now. It will be a few days before I can get back to sanding and the
final rub, wool-wax etc..... but everything is looking just fine to this point.
Thanks to all of you for your great suggestions.
Jim Krentzel