Voicing is not tuning? was Re: Why not to tune a piano?

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Tue, 1 Aug 2000 21:34:04 EDT

In a message dated 8/1/00 8:19:45 PM Central Daylight Time, avery@ev1.net
writes:

<< Voicing is not tuning.  Note even related.  The ability to hear tone
changes
 >and the knowledge needed to tune are two different skills.

     I respectfully disagree here. I wouldn't even consider voicing without at
 LEAST having clean unisons. That calls for at least "some" tuning skills.
 The sound of an out-of-tune unison "can" affect one's decision(s) about
 voicing.

 Avery

I agree with Avery. Remember my story about the 1 year old Yamaha grand tuned
by an inexperienced tuner.  All the piano needed was a good tuning. If I had
to try to voice the piano without tuning it, it wouldn't have done any good.
Voicing is tuning. Many a shrill note has been made to sound nice with a
little extra unison tuning.

Willem