Research for fine tuning unisons

Daniel Jackson tunemwell@rcn.com
Mon, 31 Jul 2000 23:52:24 -0500

Dan & Martha Reed wrote:

> List,
>     I am studying supplamental techniques to fine tune unisons... that
> is, I am researching and testing methods other than hammer technique,
> to make small adjustments to solid wire.
>     The goal of the research, is to see if there is a reliable and
> predictable technique, to make fine pitch (lowering) adjustment in a
> solid wire unison, where hammer technique is difficult, or not
> accurate enough.
>     The premise and background of this study is as follows:  (Unison
> checks from an arual technicians perspective...)
> Thanks for your encouragment.
> Dan Reed
> Dallas Chapter

Dan,
	I've been following this with great interest. This may not be the sort
of input you're looking for, but here goes...
	Have you thought about trying to measure the pitch or the tension
change (if any) in the duplex area and between the tuning pins and capo
or agraffes? It seems pretty important in order to establish a complete
idea of what is happening. Checking the duplex area aurally would be
possible but maybe not accurate enough.?
	Dan J in Wmbg VA