Bridge Repair

Clarks11628@AOL.COM Clarks11628@AOL.COM
Thu, 27 Apr 2000 20:39:57 EDT

List,  Has anyone out there had experience with CA Glue and Bass Bridge
repair that goes back several years?  I just finished my second one, and I
would like to know the advisability of giving a guarantee,  How long, in your
experiences do these repairs last?  The other "tech" that looked at it wanted
to put in those bridge repair "thingees", which my father once told me just
weren't satisfactory.
    My procedure was:  put the piano on its back, remove the 6 or 7 bichord
strings, straighten the bridge pins to the proper position, apply 1 coat of
water thin glue, clamp the bridge tightly, apply four or five more coats of
glue, until it was apparent that the holes and cracks were well filled with
graduating thicknesses of CA.  I then waited two days for the glue to cure
without accelerator, put the strings on and pulled to pitch.
    Any advice, insight on the lasting power of this, Etc?
Clark Sprague
Detroit Chapter