recycling extension levers

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Mon, 24 Apr 2000 11:01:05 -0500

List,

I had several worn out Hale extension levers sold by Apsco. The collets were
worn to the point that tightening with a pliers made no difference--there
was still play in the collet. (This is one of the inherent problems with
extension levers.) My late father's old lever was the worst, so I decided to
drizzle epoxy (West System) into the hole, hopeful that this would make it
very stiff. Stiff it was when the epoxy cured. It was even better than the
new ones, IMO. So these old levers can be used again. Of course, you no
longer have the extension feature, but if you typically use it at the same
length, just position the shaft in the place you want before the epoxy
cures.

I don't know if this will be useful for anyone, but it's something you can
do on a rainy day to avoid doing real work. :-)

John Formsma
Blue Mountain, MS