Zounds

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Sun, 23 Apr 2000 09:42:48 -0400

Martin Dubow wrote:

> When you say is the string twisted in the wrong direction, which direction
> is the right direction?
>
> How do I know if the side bearing is sufficient?
>
> Everything is up to tension.
>
> Thanks.

Look at the end of the winding and twist the string in the
direction the wire is pointing.  Usually one 360 degree turn is
sufficient.  Longer pianos a bit more.

Place a screw driver against the core between the bridge pins and
push in the direction if comes off the speaking bridge pin.  If the
sound changes when you push it is likely that is the source.

Other sources,
	loose bridge pins
	Bad agraffes
	poor scaling
	insufficient string deflection angle between agraffe and front
bearing
	too high coils causing above (bottom coil 1/8" above plate)
	high hitch pins below bass strings
	insufficient bearing
	too low crown
	loops not tapped down to plate
	loose plate washers under bolts (if it has them)
	other loose screws (damper system, hinge pins, lyre screws, etc.)
	loose copper winding, usually at the ends.
	something vibrating sympathetically
	Screeching gremlins

This is not likely complete but I think you get the idea that yo
have to LOOK _everwhere_.

		Newton